Senior Building Inspector
Inspector / Plan Reviewer
Permits Clerk - Commercial
Permits Clerk - Residential
Inspection Request Line
(512) 528-2748 -or-
Request By Email
General Permit Information:
Group Mail Box
101 E. Sonny Dr.
Leander, Texas 78641 MAP
P.O. Box 319
Leander, Texas 78646-0319
Hours of Operation:
Excluding City Holidays
The Building Inspection Department is responsible for the issuance and inspection of all construction related permits, as well as the issuance of Certificates of Occupancy.
A permit is required prior to the commencement of any construction located on property within the city limits. Activities requiring permits are listed below:
- New construction (commercial and residential)
- Remodels (relocation or removal of interior walls, and/or electrical, mechanical, or plumbing)
- Additions to existing structures
- Accessory buildings and structures
- Swimming pools
- Signs (new or re-facing)
- Moving structures
- Water/wastewater connections
- Irrigation systems
Currently, properties located outside of the city limits and within the Leander ETJ are only required permits for signs and water/wastewater connections. This list is not comprehensive, so please confirm with the Building Inspection Department prior to commencing work.
The City of Leander, as part of the City's Building Ordinance, has adopted the following building codes:
- 2009 International Building Code
- 2009 International Residential Code for One and Two-Family Dwellings
- 2009 International Mechanical Code
- 2009 International Plumbing Code
- 2009 International Fire Code
- 2009 International Fuel Gas Code
- 2009 International Energy Conservation Code
- 2009 International Property Maintenance Code
- 2008 National Electrical Code (with local amendments)
These codes can be purchased in their entirety through the International Code Council.
All signs erected or modified within city limits or the ETJ require the issuance of a Sign Permit as specified in the City's Sign Ordinance . The modification of an existing sign includes the changing of the face.
Annual Fire Inspections
For more information regarding Annual Inspections, please visit HERE .